Saturday, June 11, 2011

Champagne Taste, Beer Budget

When people come back to the front desk, and want to check out because the hotel "isn't what they expected" all I can do is laugh to myself, and try look at them as if I'm confused about why they are unsatisfied (I'm a good actress). And I have to ask the question, "I'm sorry you are unsatisfied with the accommodations you have, but what is it that you don't like? What was it that you were expecting that we do not have?" And always comes a long list of things that would normally be in a larger, more expensive hotel. No jacuzzi, no pay-per-view, larger towels, robes, or any other number of excuses. It takes every ounce of strength I have in my being not to ask them "Well, what did you expect for the price you paid?"

It never ceases to amaze me what some people expect for their money. Granted, I completely understand that the times are tough, the economy is essentially in the toilet, and we are all trying our hardest to stretch every penny as far as it will possibly go, but really!

I work at a privately own hotel property, which basically means its not the gargantuous multi-million dollar dream you were hoping for when you saw the $59 a night pricetag online. It's a small, two-star (let me repeat that: two star) BUDGET hotel built in 1956. 78 rooms, no major amenities like a jacuzzi or pay-per-view television, room service or bellmen and valet. It is basically a place to store your belongings, sleep, and shower. Which, if you are going to Disneyland, that is pretty much the extent of what you need from your hotel. So tell me why people expect more than what you get for your $59 a night. Yes, the price is better than most places, but wouldn't you consider that there must be a reason why. No the rooms are not in prestine condition, yes we have our fair share of issues, but hey, we do the best we can with what we've got. People don't realize that the reason other hotels are more expensive, is because they offer more. Every little "extra" on the list of amenities offered, is another dollar on the bill. Its like going to McDonalds and ordering a .79 cheeseburger and expecting to get a cheeseburger from somewhere like Red Robin, that is juicy, huge, and delicious. The better the quality of the item, the higher the price (champagne taste + champagne price + beer budget = no champagne for you). If we were to offer all of the same things and have the beautiful rooms they have at The Ritz Carlton or Waldorf Astoria, you'd be paying a lot more than $59 a night. If every hotel offered the exact same things, we would all have the same prices, and where would the competition be?

And I suppose that the calibur of guests that visit my hotel varies WIDELY compared to locations like the Hilton, or any of the Disney properties, but in all, most people that choose to stay at this particular location are folks that just want to stretch every buck as far as it will go and save as much as possible. Completely understandable. But then they are upset because that buck didn't stretch far enough to get them the luxury they wanted in the first place.

Example:
Had a lady the other day that came to my desk and wanted to check out because she was not satisfied. She said that she felt the rooms was dirty, that she felt "unsafe" in the hotel (I swear. We are litterally across the street from Disneyland, next to the Convention Center, and the only thing past us is the back side of the Convention Center and a very nice and quiet residential area), that the bed was hard, the bathroom was small, and the list of complaints continues. I appologize profusely as I am supposed to do since everything is my fault when something goes wrong. I offer to move her to another room, she declines and says that that room would be just like this one (really? and she knew this how? I know not). And she begins to tell me that the reason they booked a room here was because we were reccommended by her husband's friend, and they were told that the hotel was perfect. "And perfect this is NOT!" she continued. "We could have spent $20 more a night and gone to stay at the Anabella Hotel next door like I originally wanted to, and had perfectly clean pristine rooms with wi-fi." And in my head I couldn't help but think, why didn't you?

This my friends is the perfect example of "Champagne Taste, Beer Budget".

1 comment: