Sunday, June 26, 2011

Conversations with the public

Typically, as individuals, people are pretty smart. However, it's the few that I replay my conversations with below, that make me think otherwise. These are just a few that actually stand out to me.
  • GUEST: What time is check-in?
    • ME: Check-in begins at 3:00, and you are welcome to check-in anytime after that.
  • Can I get an early check in?
    • An early check in is a request. If we have the rooms available, then we would be glad to check you in prior to our 3pm check-in time.
  • Oh, so it's not guaranteed?
    • No, as I just explained to you, it is a request and is never guaranteed.
  • Even though I booked my room ahead of time?
    • Yes, even though you booked your room ahead of time. 95% or more of our guests also booked their rooms ahead of time.
  • Oh, but its paid for already!
    • Yes, as are all of the other guests that booked their rooms through a third party company JUST like you did.
  • Well, we are going to be arriving around 8:00 in the morning and wanted to check-in before we go to Disneyland.
    • Ma'am, our check-OUT time isn't until noon, so I am pretty sure that your room will still be occupied by the previous guest when you arrive, and our housekeepers will not arrive until 9:00am and they clean the rooms according to when guests check-out.
  • Okay, so can I have an early check-in?

  • Do you have another room we can move to?
    • Is there something wrong  with the room you are in right now?
  • Well, the people in the room next to us are banging on the walls and it sounds like they are moving furniture around or something. But they are definitely banging on the walls and I have a baby that's trying to sleep!
    • They are banging on the walls?
  • Yes, it just started a few minutes ago and it is very loud.
    • Oh (looking at the clock, realizing what time it was), ma'am, those are the fireworks over at Disneyland. They started at 9:25pm.
  • Oh, they have fireworks over there?
    • Yes ma'am, every night at 9:25pm during the holidays, spring break and summer, and only on weekends in between peak times. It's Friday night and it's 9:32pm, and the hotel is directly across the street from the theme parks. If you go out onto the walk way in front of your room, and look to the North, you should see some of the show.
  • Oh, (speaking to husband) it's the fireworks over at  Disneyland. They do it every night at this time. (speaking to me) So, I guess you can't ask them to knock it off so my baby can sleep can you?
    • I could, but I don't think they would grant your request.
  • The housekeepers never came to clean my room today.
    • Oh, my appologies! What was your room number?
  • 204
    • Ma'am, our housekeeper has down that you had a do not disturb sign on your door.
  • Yeah, we put it on there this morning because we didn't want anyone in the room.
    • Well, if you have the do not disturb sign on the door, the housekeepers will not enter your room. That's what the signs are for. But if you want service in your room, then I suggest you refrain from putting the DO NOT DISTURB sign on the door.
  • Well, don't they know I want my room cleaned everyday?
    • Ma'am if the sign on the door says DO NOT DISTURB, they will not disturb you, even for cleaning service. The sign indicates that you do not want service.
  • But I do want service, I want them to clean my room.
    • But you put the sign on the door because you didn't want anyone in the room?
  • Yes.
    • So you don't want anyone in the room, but you want them to clean the room?
  • Yes.
    • Ma'am, how are they going to enter and clean the room if you don't want anyone in the room?

  • Where do I get the shuttle to Disneyland?
    • I'm sorry, but we do not provide any shuttle service to the theme parks.
  • Well then how do we get there?
    • You can walk, it only takes about 10 minutes.
  • Ugh, WALK?!
    • Yes sir, walk. I have walking directions to get you there as quick as possible.
  • I don't want to walk there, that's too far to walk.
    • Well sir, you're going to be walking all day in the theme parks.
  • Well, I don't want to walk, so what are my other options?
    • Well, you can drive your car to the parking structure, and pay $15 for parking, but by the time you get over there, walk from the car to the tram, and then from the tram to the gate, its well over the 10 minutes it would take to walk.
  • OR?
    • OR, you can pay for a taxi to take you, or catch the Anaheim Resort Transit System but you have to pay for that as well and that ALSO takes longer than the 10 minutes it would take to walk.
  • Well I don't want to pay for it either.
    • Sir, if you don't want to pay to get to the parks, then you will have to walk. That is the only free form of transportation. If you don't want to walk, then you do have other options that include some sort of fee. So the choice is yours.
  • We picked this hotel because it said it was close to Disneyland, 10 minutes to walk is NOT close to Disneyland.
    • Sir, how much closer did you expect it to be? The back of Paradise Pier in California Adventure is LITTERALLY across the street from the hotel. You can see it from some of our rooms. You can view the firework show at night from the hotel. Any closer and you would be staying at one of the Disney Hotels. How much closer than a 10 minute walk were you expecting.
  • Well, on line it said it was right across the street from Disneyland.
    • It is sir.
  • Well I didn't see any entrance gate or anything across the street.
    • Well, of course not sir. The entrance gates are located between the two parks, almost in the center of the block. Disneyland takes an entire block, and there is only one main entrance gate, the same gate that was built back in 1955. It hasn't moved. Things have just been built around it. There are no hotels across from the entrance gate, only a second theme park.
  • Fine, so you're telling me I have to walk?
    • I'm telling you that if you want the cheapest, fastest way to the entrance gate, walking is your best option.
  • But I don't want to walk.

These are just the tip of the iceburg folks. Am I the only one that finds these conversations entertaining, yet incredubly annoying at the same time?!

No comments:

Post a Comment